Saturday, February 5, 2005

There's a first time for everything...

This was my first ever flopped straight flush... and it netted me a grand total of $3.50. Not sure which is more amazing -- hitting the 1 in 72,193 shot on the flop, or collecting nary a single bet after doing so. Interestingly enough, I'm getting near the point at which you'd mathematically expect to hit this (50K+ hands) exactly once. On to the hand history:

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (10 handed) converter
UTG ($61.5)
UTG+1 ($26.65)
UTG+2 ($27.3)
MP1 ($50)
Hero ($48)
MP3 ($97.95)
CO ($60.75)
Button ($87.73)
SB ($138.4)
BB ($54.5)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 5c, 4c. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
3 folds, MP1 calls $1, Hero calls $1, 4 folds, BB checks.

Flop: ($3.50) 8c, 7c, 6c (3 players)
BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($3.50) 5d (3 players)
BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: ($3.50) 3d (3 players)
BB checks, MP1 checks, Hero bets $2, BB folds, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: $5.50, won by Hero with a straight flush, four to eight.

--

In other news, I placed 66/151 in the Feb. 2 WPBT event on PokerStars. Disappointing finish, but I think I played ok throughout the first hour and some of the second. I was chip leader or 2nd in chips at the table for about half of the first hour, and really did find that I was following my game plan to steal often and with reckless abandon. K4 sooted was good enough for a 3BB raise in LP when it was folded to me, and that's a change from times past when I've played far too tight in tourney environments.

I did flop quad 8's at one point in the first hour... didn't get paid off too terribly well, but I did manage to extract some chips from SirFWALGman. He managed later on to get in an all-in pot with me where I had KJs and he had KTo, only to draw out & get a tie on the river. Managed to make some good reads, particularly on Spock, but forget which blogger that is... I just didn't have the discipline to follow them (called a clear set/value bet on the river when I had middle two pair).

When my shortstacked pocket 6's didn't hold up against a caller's AJo in the second hour, I was out. Congrats to THG for winning the event and a first prize of over $900! We gotta get more of these events going... its about time PartyPoker starts hosting private tourneys already dammit!

No comments:

Post a Comment